James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above."
I mentioned previously that I may have a little mommy guilt about the lack of documentation of our favorite Baby #3. Birth stories are miraculous events, and something that, in my mind, can't go without documentation. Even if it is almost three years later.Liam started out much different than our other two kiddos, in many ways. He was neither a stressful conception or a surprise. He was well-planned, contrary to the many : "Oh my gosh, three!"; "Do you know how that happens?," "Do you know how much it costs to raise babies these days?"
There was a lot of praying on my part prior to Liam's conception. I battled with "We already have two beautiful and healthy babies- what if something goes wrong?" Ultimately I came to the conclusion that God does not give me a spirit of fear and I would not let these fears make these important decisions for me!
We waited almost 16 weeks to announce our pregnancy to our kids, our families, our friends, or our work. Shortly after we announced the pregnancy, we found out that we were expecting a beautiful baby boy! My guess was wrong, of course, as it had been with the previous two pregnancies! Although Sydney was hoping for a baby sister, she was immediately excited for a new baby brother. And of course, Eli and Daddy were Team Blue all the way!
Although I had less nausea, vomiting, or swelling with this pregnancy, it was without doubt my worst pregnancy. Around 12 weeks, I began to have kidney stones, which plagued my entire pregnancy. The final count was somewhere around 20 and the largest was somewhere around 1.2 cm ("too big to pass" but did). I had two hospitalizations for them, and was eventually induced as a result of them, because we truly could not tell whether I was having pain from contractions or kidney stones without the assistance of a hospital monitor. To top all of that off, I fell while holding Eli and in an effort to protect my precious 2 year old and my growing belly, I fell on my left elbow and fractured it. Having already experienced natural childbirth, I can say with confidence that these two experiences as a whole were the worst pain ever. Yet, this beautiful baby was so beyond worth it!
At 38 weeks, I arrived at Piedmont Fayette Hospital beyond ready for this pregnancy to end. Liam was a scheduled induction, and based on my first two pregnancies, I expected this delivery to go equally as fast. Fortunately, he did not disappoint.
Arriving at already 4 cm dilated, I told them I wanted my epidural. They asked if I was hurting. I informed them that I had hurt almost every day of my pregnancy, and that I would like my epidural. With Pitocin already infusing (my first experience with this med), I was indeed in pain prior to my epidural, and was thankful for the immediate relief it provided. My water was broken and I was told to notify the nurse if I felt any pressure. I did not feel pressure. I felt a tiny, and I mean tiniest of tiny, pin prick. Since it was a different sensation, I asked the nurse to check me. She did and I was complete. And shocked. The doctor arrived, and a mere five minutes and 1 1/2 pushes later, we had a beautiful baby boy less than 5 hours from arriving at the hospital. He was my first baby who did not have the cord wrapped around his neck, and for that, I was so relieved! He was also my tiniest baby, weighing in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces. Apgars 9 and 9. My handsome hubby, amazing mom, and childhood best friend were all in the room for the event, and Ben's mom arrived only a few minutes after! Thanks to my amazing photographer best friend for my birth photos. If you think you might be queasy, you should either stop here or have someone help you skip a few in the middle! (You have been warned!)























No comments:
Post a Comment