Friday, October 16, 2015

On the Eve of the First Day in my Thirties

On my way to work this morning, I was pondering how I felt that today was my last day in my twenties.  I spent the entire day at a meeting at Piedmont Atlanta Hospital-- quite a grown up thing to do, right?  I tried to decide if I was sad, or if I would cry tomorrow, like so many people had warned me of.  I really don't think I will.  All I could think of was how much I had accomplished and experienced and changed in the last ten years.  This post is in no way meant to brag, just to reflect!


  • I started my twenties with a wedding, marrying my high school sweetheart, and my best friend, just before turning 21!  We have literally grown up together this decade!
  • Jenna was my best friend and sounding board for life as I entered my 20s, and I am ending them just the same.  I'm so grateful to have her in my Mommy club to share those experiences with.  I feel a little sorry for her to have her join my Two Babies at Once club, but she will survive!  :)
  • I graduated college three times, from three different schools (North Georgia- ASN; MCG- BSN; UAB- MSN)
  • I passed my national certifying boards and gained the title of Family Nurse Practitioner.
  • I cared for patients just hours after their birth and just hours before their death, and immensely enjoyed the support I provided those families in both situations.
  • I have had my career morph into many different roles within nursing to allow me to maximize my time at home with my family.
  • I experienced the immense heartache of a miscarriage and wondered if God would ever allow me to become a Mommy.
  • God blessed me with a beautiful baby girl in 2009 and then just to be funny another beautiful baby in 2010.
  • I became a minivan owner at the ridiculously young age of 22.  I am still mortified by that fact.  However- I can't imagine driving anything else anymore.
  • My parents experienced the full effects of the recession, which led them to live in the same town as us just prior to me becomming a Mommy.  I'm so thankful to be able to do every day life with them.
  • I have been to over 20 UGA football games and assisted in the brainwashing of three beautiful children that they bleed red and black.
  • I was a part of a group that over two years poured our resources into building a well in the community of Zambia (Africa).
  • We welcomed our third and final child into our family, and shocked all of our family at how much they would be smitten by him!
  • I have had friends who I have completely lost touch with, friendships that have only gotten stronger, and made new friends with people who I couldn't imagine life without at this point.
  • We became homeowners for the first time, outgrew that said house, and purchased our second home.
  • We have been pets to two fur-babies, who we are so thankful are both still part of our family.
  • We have been bitten by the Disney-bug-- we've been to Disney twice as a family and are always looking forward to our next trip.
  • I got my first camera phone, flip phone, and IPhone, and now it is a daily struggle not to use it too much.
  • I have had the blessing of watching my children develop a beautiful relationship with my grandparents and am so thankful for this opportunity!
  • My health, although good, has definitely had some annoying  healthy-people problems.  I've passed over 40 kidney stones, broken my elbow, had my tonsils removed, and had severe nausea through three (HEALTHY!) pregnancies.
  • I have learned that Ben and I can't just coast through this crazy season of our lives-- that we have to be very intentional about staying in love and staying on the same team!
This decade has been everything my 10 year plan said it should be.  However, it has been a whirlwind and crazy and required so much support from so many awesome people in my life.  I am really looking forward to enjoying life and not always trying to change it over the next decade.  This will be the decade I get to spend with my 3 kids, 2 dogs and a minivan, and I plan to enjoy (almost) every minute of it.  I want to work on being a good wife, mom, daughter, nurse, and friend.  So, all that being said, I don't think I will cry tomorrow.  I am really excited about my thirties!



No comments:

Post a Comment