Friday, January 6, 2012

How We Ended Up at Disney World with a One and Two Year Old

Life in our family is crazy.  Sometimes, really crazy.  So, you might wonder what possessed us to take our crazy life and submerge it into one of the most chaos producing places on the planet.  I have an answer to that.  My mother-in-law is crazier than me.  :)

My crazy amazing mother-in-law called me one day in early summer and told me that she had just booked us two nights at the incredible hotel they have a timeshare with in Orlando.  My first reaction was Oh.my.gosh.you.did.what?? What if we have to work?  That's a loong drive with two under two for just two nights!  Then, I thought, but Orlando is a super cool town with a ton of awesome things to do.  We can stay longer than that.  Our kids aren't that bad of riders.  AND it's two nights free with HELP with the kids!  :)  In a matter of a few seconds, I was convinced and the free part helped convince Ben pretty quick, too!

Over the months between when we decided to go and when October actually came, Sydney had developed a perpetual fear of characters.  To the point, if she THOUGHT she might see one, she spent the rest of the time anxious and looking for it!  So, we knew there was no way we were taking her anywhere Disney where she might see a character!  Our plans-- Downtown Disney and Sea World.  Then..  probably three weeks before we were supposed to leave, she saw a picture of one of her friends with Mickey Mouse on my Facebook.  "Oh Mickey Mouse!  I want to see Mickey Mouse!"  Struck with panic that we were about to be there and NOT see him, I reminded her that she'd be afraid of Mickey Mouse.  "No I not.  I wave to him and say 'Hi Mickey'".    With dollar signs in his mind and imagining the complete waste when indeed she was afraid of him, Ben decided we'd test her.  We went to ChuckECheese for the first time to see how she responded to that big rat.  She knew we were testing her (I couldn't blindside the kid!) and she walked right up to him and said "Hi Mickey's Friend.  I not afraid of you.  I am going to say Hi Mickey"  lol  Of course, I was estatic.  We were going to the Magic Kingdom!!

So then I went into psycho-we're going to Disney in less than a month with two toddlers planning mode and read every blog post known to man about how to do it affordably and in the most toddler-friendly way.  I must say that without much time, I did pretty well!  :)  Many more posts to come about the actual trip. 

Disclaimer:  My mother in law is an amazing woman who I love.  She is not crazy most of the time and I am so thankful for the opportuity to take this trip that would have never happened without her!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment