I started out working at Spalding Regioanl in a rural hospital in Griffin, GA. Even though I grew up in the neighboring town "hating" Spalding because that's what everyone else did, it was a really great hospital. The doctors, other nurses, and patients were amazing. I took care of ortho, respiratory, cardiac, general surgery, and other medical patients. One of the benefits of it being such a small hospital was that it didn't have a specialized floor for everything. I was able to gain exposure to a lot of different types of patients.
Although I LOVED my job, I hated drivng an hour one way to get there once Sydney was born. When she was six months old, I started looking for a job closer to home. Although I applied for a job in the ICU Stepdown Unit at Piedmont Fayette, I was offered a job in their float pool. Working as a float pool nurse, I worked in Ortho, Med/Surg, Oncology, Cardiology, Mother/Baby, and Outpatient Infusion. Basically, I called the supervisor every morning, and she told me where to go that day. It was a lot of fun working with so many different types of patients and getting to know every. nurse. in . the . hospital! (Also all the reason it was so scary at first!!)
If I thought I had it made at Spalding, I had no idea what God had in store for me at Fayette. For one, I found out I was pregnant with Eli just days after my interview. I emailed my would-be manager freaking out and she calmly told me that they expected life to happen and they still totally wanted me to come work for them. She then was fine with me going part-time when I could no longer handle a full-time job with a 6 month and an 18 month old! And now, she's equally amazing as I am moving on to a position in case management. I am so thankful for always having amazing bosses who have been so helpful to my young nursing career!
I am really excited about starting a position in case management, even though I am sure that I will miss direct patient care. I am excited that I still get to make a difference in patients' lives on a daily basis. I am excited that I still get to work with the same amazing nurses and doctors! I am excited that I will get off work while it is still light outside! I am so excited to see the next chapter that God is writing in my life!
I should be totally freaked out that I am starting grad school and a new job in the same week, but I feel so at peace and excited, because I feel like I am exactly where God wants me to be!
No comments:
Post a Comment